Advertising & PR
Skills & Talents
Links & Resources
Facts & Trends
Advertising & Public Relations:
Skills & Talents
A typical job in advertising & public relations would require the following skills:
|Key Skill Area
|Ability to synthesize:
- People Skills Key
- Advertising and Public Relations, like most other marketing careers, requires strong people
skills. Advertising and PR jobs require the individual to work closely with a
client base who can be difficult and demanding.
- Not for the faint of heart
- Continual deadlines in advertising and PR can cause high levels of stress and pressure.
The advertiser may have to work all night or
weekends to ensure a presentation is properly prepared to meet a pressing deadline.
- Communication Skills Vital
- Probably no other marketing career requires greater communication skills
than does a career in advertising. Excellent copy-writing skills are a must for the entry
level advertising or PR job. The advertising and PR person must also be able to make a
very professional presentation that is persuasive and yet flexible.
- Creativity? You better believe it
- A successful advertiser will be the individual who
can create a commercial message that the consumer will remember. Do you remember the
Energizer Bunny who keeps going and going and going? Somebody's career was made with that
- Competition is Bloody
- Competition for beginning advertising and PR jobs is intense. There are
many more candidates than advertising positions. You must be willing to start at the
bottom and work your way up. An internship in the advertising field is a MUST! Many
of these internships will not pay so be prepared to struggle financially. However, the
experience should greatly improve your chances in entering the advertising field.
- Don't Expect to Get Rich
- Bad news - starting pay is probably going to be low. Remember, there
are a lot of people that want that advertising job and the advertisers know it. Be willing
to start for low pay knowing that as you gain experience you gain salary.
- Globally Oriented Players Needed
- The large advertising agencies are opening offices all around the world. After years of
experience there is a possibility of working on global campaigns. The field of advertising
is one of the most global business career options available.
- Online Oriented People Wanted
- The burgeoning world of web advertising and e-commerce is injecting new, dynamic growth
into a traditional field. Look for huge opportunities in designing, arranging and
selling online advertising
- Are You a Team Player?
- The ability to work in a team or to perform individual excellence is
important because you will have the opportunity to do both.
- You Get Satisfaction
- The Advertising and PR fields can result in very satisfying careers.
There aren't many jobs which allow your creativity and strategies to come to life to be
observed by thousands or even millions of people. Work results are very apparent!
Work at Home