Skills & Talents
Links & Resources
Facts & Trends
Non-Profit: Job Options
- Marketing Director
- The Marketing Director in the non-profit sector is in charge of all marketing
activities for the organization. The marketing director position will vary
depending on the size of the organization. Many non-profits have a one person
marketing department while larger non-profits may have a sizable marketing
- Assistant Marketing Director
- Assistant Marketing Directors report directly to the marketing director
and will perform many of the same activities as the director. Small non-profits
will have the assistant marketing director help in all marketing activities.
Larger organizations may have an assistant marketing director responsible for
one activity such as promotion or fund raising.
- Director of Development / Fund-Raiser
- The director of development is a fund raiser and his or her job is to
organize, manage, and direct the fund raising campaigns that keep a non-profit
in existence. The job will entail event planning, personal selling, and
potentially a great deal of entertaining activities. The director of development
is a critically important marketing job for any non-profit organization.
- Event Coordinator
- The Event Coordinator position can be found in many of the Non-profit
organizations. One of the key methods of raising donations and funds for the
non-profit organization is through some form of special event. The Event
Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the event ranging from initial
planning to implementation of the event. Specifically, the Event coordinator
must schedule the event, arrange the event location, and find sponsors of food,
drink, finances, and door prizes. In addition, the event coordinator may be
responsible for promotion of the event and be available to solve any last minute
problems that arise in the implementation of the event.
- Publication Specialist
- Many organizations spend substantial budgetary resources on publications
designed to promote and bring about awareness of the organization. The
publication specialist is responsible for designing and creating brochures,
posters, newsletters, and any direct mail materials.
- Non-profit organizations would have difficulty in surviving without
volunteers and interns. The intern and volunteer is typically unpaid but is a
very important step in obtaining a full time non-profit job. Interns will
perform a variety of marketing functions for the organization in return for
experience in the industry.