Skills & Talents
Links & Resources
Facts & Trends
Non-Profit: Skills & Talents
A typical job in the non-profit arena would require the following skills:
|Key Skill Area
|Ability to synthesize:
- Well-Suited to the Practical Idealist
- You want to get rich? Forget it, not in this profession. The non-profit
sector is typically not for the individual who is money driven.
A non-profit wants an individual with a strong sense of community spirit and the
desire to help others.
- Creativity and Initiative are Important
- You will be given opportunities to take charge and create a
new event designed to communicate and sell the organization.
- Every Day is Different
- Non-profits typically do not require a lot of travel but they do have a wide
diversity of daily activities. No two days may be alike. The ideal non-profiter
is willing to adapt to whatever the needs are for the day or for the given
- Hours May be Erratic
- Are working hours 9 to 5? Sometimes. However, there are also occasions in which
you may have to attend a dinner or special event after "hours." People
that are comfortable in social situations can possess a distinct advantage in
the non-profit sector.
- Business skills are a distinct advantage.
- Basic knowledge of accounting,
finance, management, information systems, advertising, and of course, marketing
will be an important differential advantage. Traditionally, the non-profits
possessed poor business skills and only recently have business skills been
recognized for their importance.
- Can be Tough to Transition to the For-Profit Sector
- Moving from other marketing careers to the non-profit sector should not be
difficult. However, moving from the non-profits to the profit sector may be more
difficult. Some employers will give you credit for good works. Depressingly, others
may be indifferent.
- Do it for the Right Reasons
- For most people in the non-profit sector the advantages of a career in
non-profit marketing are numerous but the "bottom-line" remains the
opportunity to help others and return something of value to the community.